Friday, October 31, 2008

Why Does He Have To Leave?

October 29th, 2008 the fabulous David Tennant announced to the world that he will be retiring the part of the Doctor on the hit show Doctor Who. If you have no idea what i'm talking about then fuck off, but if you do then continue reading. Yes we will no longer be seeing the 10th Doctor in his pinstripe suit and converse wielding his sonic screwdriver about whilst wearing the brainy specs.

David Tennant made this announcement as part of his acceptance speech at the National Television Awards. He stated that after the '09 specials, he will no longer play the Doctor. This has come to most as a shock and disappointment. I for one knew that his days were numbered as the Doctor, but I never expected that '09 would be his last.

The very first episode I ever saw of Doctor Who was the last 20 minutes or so of the Satan Pit episode. I was flipping through the channels and i suddenly landed on the SciFi channel. It was there that I caught the bit where he was talking to the Devil and was trying to figure out who the devil was and what he believed in. I thought that was the most amazing thing i ever saw, so i tried to remember to watch every week, but that plan never followed through. I would catch the little marathons SciFi would have, (back then they had Doctor Who marathons on Saturday mornings), but it would be the 9th Doctor. So the 9th Doctor was my first official Doctor, but the one i loved most and saw for the very first time was the 10th.

When I first heard the news about David's departure, i was extremely sad and quite nearly to tears. But it has to be said, he had a great run and it was all a matter of time before he did leave. However i really wish he would have done at least one more season.

Not only is the good doctor leaving us, but Russell T. Davies (who is responsible for bringing Doctor Who back), Julie Gardener (one of the original producers) and as i heard it Murray Gold (the man responsible for recreating the theme tune and composes all the music heard on Doctor Who). Don't know if that last one is true or not, so if someone would like to educate me, please do. It seems like its going to be an all new show as of 2010.

All i can say is good luck to David Tennant in all the new projects he will be doing! I will definitely stay tuned to his work as well as the new Doctor, even if my favourite one is getting replaced.

*Love you always 10th Doctor, my Doctor*

-Kristina

1 comment:

melinda said...

i laughed at this...not gunna lie